Cleaning house carpet and keeping it clean is a challenging task. From food to dirt and even ink stains, every room of the house with a carpet is ever vulnerable. Having said so, do you know how to remove ballpoint ink from carpet, which leaves the carpet looking unclean? What is most important and perhaps the initial step is to work on it immediately. This is because the drier the ink gets, the harder and trickier it becomes to clean it out. Therefore, don’t hesitate once you discover the stain.
When your carpet gets a ballpoint ink stain, you can remove it using several distinct steps – on the condition that your carpet is colorfast. Because the methods of removal are useful when it comes to removing the ink stains, they may however also remove the color off your carpet fibers. Nonetheless, below are several steps on how to remove ballpoint ink from your carpet. Here are the items you will need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Carpet stain remover or carpet shampoo
- Soft cloths
How to Remove Ballpoint Ink From Carpet
- Apply stain remover: start by applying a stain remover on your carpet. As opposed to other inks, ballpoint ink does not absorb into your carpet fibers, which makes it easier to eradicate. More often than not, the stain remover will do the job.
- Blot the ink spot using a clean cloth: turn this cloth regularly to ensure that each you use a clean surface when you touch the carpet. If you fail to do so, you will end up reapplying the ink while you work.
- Apply stain remover again: reapply the carpet stain remover until no more ink is getting transferred from the cloth.
- Test blot a hidden area: you can do this by rubbing alcohol.
- Wait a few minutes and blot the section using a clean cloth: assess to see whether there is a change of color, or whether there is a color transfer from the carpet to the fabric as you blot.
Note: if you have a colorfast carpet, you can safely proceed.
- Rub the alcohol on a moist, soft cloth: Depending on the extent of the spot, small sections or little lines can be rubbed using a cotton swab for more effectiveness.
- Blot the cloth onto the ink stain: blot your soft moistened cloth onto the stain on your carpet.
Note: as earlier mentioned, frequently turn the wet cloth to ensure the surface that gets into contact with the carpet is clean.
- Repeat: repeat the process until you entirely remove the stain.
Note: As an alternative, you can use a carpet shampoo to clean the section of the carpet or subsequently rinse the carpet by blotting using clean water. You can also use hairspray as it is a proven solution for removal of ink stains. With hairspray, always go for cheaper brands since they have a higher alcohol content, a vital component that erases the ink off.
All you need to do is abundantly spray the hairspray onto the carpet and blot using a clean cloth. Ensure that you wash the carpet area once the stain is completely removed to get rid of any hairspray residue.
So, do you know how to remove ballpoint ink from carpet? Essentially, you will use a clean cloth to blot the stain initially. Once you have used a stain remover where the ink was, you can use rubbing alcohol to get the last of the stain. Always make sure the color of your carpet isn’t being removed during this process.